Sunday, December 1, 2013

30 Days 50,000 Words



51,354 to be exact. I didn't get a cool banner like the one above. I didn't register as such or do the whole thing properly. My goal was to write 50,000 words between November the 1st and November the 30th and I accomplished that.

It wound up being over two concepts. One was Shattered Chaos and I actually managed to complete that on the 27th. It came in at over 90,000 words, which was a surprise, because there were times prior to doing Nanowrimo that I did wonder if it would break the 70,000 word barrier.

How was the experience? It was kind of odd to be totally honest.

I regularly bang out at least 1,000 words a day and I've been doing that for some time now, so it wasn't really a case of making myself write on a daily basis, which I think many people who go in for Nanowrimo are trying to do, it was more about making daily word count.

I did a business course for a couple of weeks in November and that meant my daily counts weren't what they needed to be for those weeks, so there were a few mammoth writing sessions on the weekends and a couple of nights to help me hit the 50,000 word target.

When I finished the novel I went onto a short story which is really concepts for an urban fantasy idea called Foxwood that I'd like to explore. Of course I also need to edit Shattered Chaos.

That's one thing about Nanowrimo, when you know you have to hit a certain number of words you focus on that and you tend to write a lot of extraneous material. I'll lose a few thousand for sure from what I did during Nanowrimo when I go through the book and edit it properly.

I was glad I did it, even though there were times I stressed a little about making word count and that's something I've never really done before.

It was fun.

Having said that I'm back to my 1,000 words now and feel happy about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment