Saturday, March 1, 2014

The Evolution of a Princess


After watching all the Disney animated features and becoming very interested in the whole Princess phenomenon along the way I started to think about fanfic.

I've never really discussed fanfic much here or on my previous blog (http://travelsthroughiest.blogspot.com), but it does interest me. I don't read a lot of it, because I generally prefer to read or watch the originals that they're based on. I have written two pieces (three if you count the Locke Lamora themed story I wrote as a submission for Fantasy Faction's monthly short story challenge on fanfic in February) in the past. One was on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the other was about Warehouse 13. The more Disney Princesses I watched and found out about it the more I wanted to write something centred around it. It's quite popular, there are loads of Disney Princess themed stories on fanfiction.net.

My other two stories, while playing in other people's sandboxes, did heavily feature original characters. In fact in the Buffy story, Buffy was actually only a peripheral character, the story was about a previous Slayer. I thought this one would be similar. To do that I had to create a new Princess.

Disney regularly mine well known fairy tales for their Princesses (Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Mulan, The Frog Prince, Rapunzel and most recently The Snow Queen, only Pocahontas and Brave haven't really gone down that path), so I thought I'd do the same thing. The problem is that the company have used most concepts so you have to get creative. They tweak the originals, so I decided to do the same thing to get my new Princess.


Meet Princess Hood, full name Little Red Riding Hood and she prefers to be known as Red most of the time. My Red is a little different to the one above, she's a redhead and she's probably a few years older. The basic premise is that she goes to DISNEY Academy where all the other Princesses are. Most of the ones we know and love are at The Academy in some teaching capacity and the three most recent additions: Rapunzel, Merida and Anna (come on you know she's going to be a Princess. I think Elsa will be too, although technically she's a Queen, but she's not at The Academy, being busy running Arendelle) are students, learning Princessing from the experts.. Exactly how Red becomes eligible for Princesshood becomes apparent in the stories, which I will post here.

I even gave her a sidekick.


This is Lilbee. It's short for Little Bad, although he's not really bad at all. He's named that because of his uncle The Big Bad Wolf who gave the Hood family some grief before it was all sorted out. He's a wolf pup and Red's near constant companion.

I hope to introduce Red and the gang in the near future, so I hope you all like her and the extraordinary finishing school that she attends.

No comments:

Post a Comment