Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The Disney Film Project




I’ve long wanted to watch all of Disney’s animated features, but never really been able to do it. I have seen quite a few of them, but there are some significant gaps in my watching. As it is, although I’m watching all of them, there are some exceptions. One is Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, not because I don’t like the film, but more because I never picked up any of the previous DVD releases and it hasn’t yet been rereleased, but when it is I will look at it and assess it here.

Fantasia is another exception. It’s one I’ve never really taken to. I can see the artistic merit and the idea of marrying pieces of classical music to the animation, but it doesn’t have a real story and is more a series of pieces related by concept rather than what we think of as a traditional film.

There’s probably some other gaps for similar reasons as that and later on when Disney began their seeming intention to take over the entire cinematic world it becomes difficult to distinguish between what is and what isn’t a Disney film.

We started with Pinocchio.

No comments:

Post a Comment